Friday, April 13, 2012

Coming Soon: World Hemophilia Day


This year, on April 17th, people all over the world will be celebrating World Hemophilia Day! The theme for WHD 2012 is "Closing the Gap".

To be perfectly honest, I had not heard of WHD before this year. But a few months ago I was browsing through some recent articles on the NHF website and I saw the date. Needless to say, I was very pleasantly surprised! WHD is a day to raise awareness for men and women around the world living with chronic bleeding disorders. On this day, to participate and show your support, wear RED! 

I've heard that a lot of people are attending Hemophilia Walks or going to a dinner/event that their treatment center is putting on. Currently, as I am switching hometowns for college (and no longer under pediatrics!), I am in between treatment centers. So to my disappointment I will not be able to participate in any of those activities. :( But I will next year for sure! :) 

The World Hemophilia Federation (WHF) website lists several activities to put on during WHD here! There's still time to organize something! 

To raise awareness, I created a WHD event on Facebook and have since then shared many articles and informative videos on my Facebook wall to help my friends and family understand how important awareness is! 

So what will you do on World Hemophilia Day? Sport a red outfit? Create an event? Organize an awareness booth? Share your ideas below and include pictures if you'd like! :) 

Have a great week!

<3,
Jamie

No comments: